Yep, you heard correctly.
My mom found & saved the following recipe from the East Texas Farm & Ranch Living section in one of our local newspapers.
I immediately went out to our local farmers market and purchased some fresh squash.
- 10 cups sliced squash (I used the goose-necks)
- 2 medium bell peppers, chopped
- 4 medium onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 four Oz. jar pimentos, diced
- 2 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- Mix squash, peppers, onions & pimentos in large pot. Pour salt over the top & cover with water. Allow to sit for a couple of hours.
- Drain water off of squash mixture & add remaining ingredients.
- Place on stove & bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and ladle into hot, sterile pint or quart jars. Make sure to leave 1/4" from top of jars.
- Process as recommended by canning instructions.
This one is just out of the boiler & is extremely hot. I made 6 pints and 1 quart. Can't wait to taste a jar in a few days time.