First, I'd like to thank Susan from Confessions of a Fabric Attic for hosting the Hands2Help Challenge again this year.
I've chosen a design, the main fabric and dug into my stash!
Eeeeek! I know, I know! What a mess but from this mess will come a fab quilt!!
Here, I've cut the foundations and pressed a strip of fabric adhesive diagonally.
Next, I've peeled the adhesive strip paper off and placed my "kite" design across the foundation and pressed into place. This is a great way to keep the design from moving around instead of using pins, which I do not like to use if I can help it.
Next comes the outlining fabric which I've chosen black. Red works well or a bright yellow or whatever you'd like to use. Oh, a directional fabric would be great here, too. I've just given myself an idea. (Stay tuned for that one)
Now, I've sewn strips from my scrap pile on each side of the "kite" shape. Notice I've left two opposite corners free.
This is way I did that. I've used the same fabric on those corners. The block is 12 1/2" at this point.
16 blocks later, now it's all put together, machine quilted and bound. This is one of my favorite designs. I use it often and in many combinations. Depending on the amount of blocks used, the design can grow into all kinds of secondary patterns.
If life doesn't get in the way, I hope to get another quilt done for the "challenge" but if not, for once, I'm early with a finished quilt which measures 45" square.