Rue McClanahan from the Golden Girls
I'm sorry, not that kind of BLANCH, I'm talking smaller than a bread box.
So here's the procedure for blanching squash before freezing them.
- In a large cooking pot, fill with water and bring to a boil.
- Slice 15 to 20 medium squash, thinly (do not slice before water is boiling. This allows the starch to remain and not seep out). We wouldn't want all those great vitamins and other goodies to escape.
- Place sliced squash or whatever veggies you have into boiling water. Boil for 3 to 5 minutes.
- In another large pot, have iced water ready for dunk veggies into to cool.
- Scoop hot veggies into iced water for stand for 3 to 5 minutes then scoop into freezer bags.
- I like to add water in my freezer bags to do away with freezer burn....... just sayin'